When you work in the business of education, you are bound to receive an education in business law. Don’t learn your legal lessons the hard way! Amy and Mike invited attorney Matthew K. Seeley to the Tests and the Rest Winter Conference 2020 to speak about legal issues for educational enterprises. In the first part of his remarkably thorough and insightful presentation, Matthew addressed the legal issues around employees and independent contractors.
Be sure to download the attached presentation pdf as visual support for this discussion.
What are five things you will learn in this episode?
- What is the difference between an employee and an independent contractor?
- How does having a teacher use a specific curriculum influence classification?
- What are the pros and cons for teachers retained as employees or independent contractors?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of retaining employees or independent contractors?
- What are the penalties for misclassifying employees and independent contractors?
MEET OUR GUEST
Matthew K. Seeley is a partner at the law firm of Buckley King, which is headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio and has offices in Atlanta and Phoenix. Matt practices as a business litigator, which encompasses a number of areas including commercial, employment, tax and real estate matters. Matt has been in practice for nearly 23 years and has an active role in Cleveland’s legal community; regularly speaking at local bar associations and trade conferences on topics pertinent to business owners and employers. Matt was recently a delegate to the Eighth District Judicial Conference which is by invitation only and involves a gathering of prominent local lawyers and judges to discuss issues pertaining to Cuyahoga County’s justice system.
Find Matthew at Seeley@buckleyking.com.
ABOUT THIS PODCAST
Tests and the Rest is THE college admissions industry podcast. Explore all of our episodes on the show page.