While all teenagers are alike in certain ways, those at the very top and very bottom of the socioeconomic spectrum share some disconcerting similarities. How are these peer groups connected and what can be done to help them? Amy and Mike invited psychiatrist Anthony Villani to bring clarity to the topic of teen anxiety and socioeconomic status.
What are five things you will learn in this episode?
- What fascinating aspects of teen life has Dr. Suniya Luthar uncovered in her research?
- What behaviors do teens at the highest and lowest socioeconomic levels exhibit?
- Does gender enter into teen anxiety equation?
- How can parents, educators, and counselors mitigate these levels of teen anxiety?
- How does envy undermine teens in school?
MEET OUR GUEST
Dr. Anthony Villani is a practicing psychiatrist, former school board member, parent of two teens, and college applicant interviewer. He’s also a competitive math coach.
Children of the Affluent: Challenges to Well-Being (Suniya S. Luthar and Shawn J. Latendresse)
ABOUT THIS PODCAST
Tests and the Rest is THE college admissions industry podcast. Explore all of our episodes on the show page.